Social Security and VA

Social Security and VA

Download the Social Security Sheet

How do I contact the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs?

Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000 or visit www.va.gov. If you know a veteran in crisis, please call the Veterans Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

How do I obtain Veterans Benefits?

Veterans Benefits are applied for through the Veterans Administration. The following information will be needed to apply for benefits:

  • Social Security number of the veteran and the veteran’s dependents
  • Certified copy of the death certificate
  • DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  • Verification of the life insurance amount you will receive due to the veteran’s death
  • Paid receipts for hospital and doctor bills, if applicable
  • Bill of sale for funeral and cemetery expenses
  • If there was a previous marriage, a certified copy of the divorcee decree or certificate of death, resulting in the dissolution of the marriage
  • If there are dependent children, birth certificates for each dependent child under 18 or over 18 and still in school; If over 18 and still in school, the VA Form 21-674 must be completed
  • If Social Security Benefits are being received, the exact amount must be reported
  • If you have a VA Claim Number, you must use the claim number you have been assigned
  • If there are any sources of additional income, the source and exact amount must be reported
Who is eligible for Veterans Benefits?

You must be a veteran who has been discharged or separated from active duty, under conditions other than dishonorable, and have completed the required period of service. Armed Forces members who die on active duty are also eligible, as well as spouses and dependent children of eligible living and deceased veterans.

Does the VA reimburse burial expenses?

If a veteran’s death is service connected, the VA will pay an allowance of up to $2,000.00. The VA may pay a $300 funeral and burial expense for veteran who passed away while entitled to a pension or compensation. Reimbursement may also occur if the veteran passes away in a VA facility or VA contracted facility. Other transportation costs may also be reimbursed. More information can be found through the VA.

Does my family receive a burial flag?

In most instances, Fox River Cremation Society will obtain the flag for the family.

Can we bury in a national VA cemetery?

Veterans who die on active duty are eligible for burial in one of the over 100 national VA cemeteries. This includes the plot, opening and closing of the grave, and perpetual care. Columbaria and special graves sites for cremated remains are also available at many VA cemeteries. Eligible veterans must have completed the required service time and had a discharge or separation that was other than dishonorable. Spouses and minor children may also be eligible for burial. A person serving with a reserve component of the Armed Forces for 20 years of credible service also may be eligible. A U.S. citizen who served in an army allied with the United States during war may also be eligible for burial.

Does the VA supply a headstone/marker?

The VA will provide a headstone/marker for any veterans unmarked grave, anywhere in the world. Eligible dependents are also provided a headstone/marker. There are various styles that are available, depending on your choice of cemetery. The headstone/marker is inscribed with the name, years of birth and death, and branch of service. Other items may also be inscribed at the expense of the VA. A full list is provided when choosing a headstone/marker. If additional engraving is requested outside of what the VA provides, it can be done at private expense. Request for a headstone/marker for a veteran in a non-VA cemetery may incur extra charges and are subject to additional requirements. Fox River Cremation Society can assist you with this process.

How do I get a Presidential Memorial Certificate?

In most cases, Fox River Cremation Society can obtain the certificate for the family.

What cemeteries are available in the area:

In Illinois, the VA currently has 6 open National Cemeteries:

Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery
20953 W. Hoff Road
Elwood, IL 60421
Phone: (815) 423-9958
Fax: (815) 423-5824

Alton National Cemetery
600 Pearl Street
Alton, IL 62002
Phone: (314) 845-8320
Fax: (314) 845-8355
Cremation Only

Camp Butler National Cemetery
5063 Camp Butler Road
Springfield, IL 62707-9722
Phone: (217) 492-4070
Fax: (217) 492-4072

Danville National Cemetery
1900 East Main Street
Danville, IL 61832
Phone: (217) 554-4550
Fax: (217) 554-4803

Mound City National Cemetery
141 State Highway 37
Mound City, IL 62963
Phone: (618) 748-9107
Fax: (618) 748-9108

Rock Island National Cemetery
Bldg 118 Rock Island Arsenal
Rock Island, IL 61299
Phone: (309) 782-2094
Fax: (309) 82-2097

VA Office Assistance

Department of Veterans Affairs
Regional Office
2122 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (800) 827-1000

Department of Veterans Affairs
Edward Hines Jr. Hospital
PO Box 5000
Hines, IL 60141
Decedant Affairs Clerk
Phone: (708) 216-2503

Headstone and Gravemarker Program
Phone: (800) 697-6947
8:00am to 4:30pm Eastern Time

Government Life Insurance Information
VA Insurance Center
Phone: (800) 669-8477
8:00am to 6:30pm Eastern Time

Fox River Cremation Society | (630) 584-8823
1803 Suncast Lane
Batavia, IL 60510


©Fox River Cremation Society
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants & TA

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use | Accessibility